Monday, December 20, 2004

Here in Morocco...

Well everyone, I made it to Morocco. The weather is really great--a little chilly at night, but the sun shines during the day and warms everything up. I'm in an Internet cafe so I can't post any pictures yet, but I will as soon as I can--probably when I get back to France. I had authentic couscous last night. It was really good. I also ate several Moroccan sweets (Sophie and I discussed what they would be called in English and I don't know. They are somewhere between cookies and candies. But I suppose that cookie would be close enough.) Hamid, Sophie's husband, is really nice. He has English classes two nights a week so I'm going to see if I can go with him to one--it would be really interesting for me.

I took a shower this morning. It consisted of a large tub of water and a small pot to use to pour water over myself. It was quite effective--I feel squeaky clean now.

There are several women here who didn't cover their heads or faces. It is mostly the older women who wear the more traditional dress. Other than being blond, fair-skinned, and freckled--and not speaking Arabic--I don't feel too out of place. As for speaking Arabic... Hamid tells me that it is easier for English speakers to learn Arabic than it is for French speakers to learn. I'm going to ask him to teach me some Arabic while I am here. I would like to learn how to read the language a little bit--even if I can't get any meaning out of it.

Anyway, I recommend visiting Morocco.

7 Comments:

At 9:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update. Enjoy the sunshine, couscous, and sweets. Try not to emulate Edina and Patsy (remember that episode?).

Mom

 
At 8:03 PM, Blogger STAG said...

Cous-cous better than grits eh?

 
At 1:48 PM, Blogger Ovonia Red said...

Wow--the blogger instructions are all written in Arabic.

Mom, I was thinking of that episode before I came here. It is still my favorite Ab Fab episode. THen again, have you seen the skiing one? I thought of that one before i went skiing.

My face is a little sun-kissed... i wouldn't call it burnt. It rained last night--the weather has been a little chilly. I've taken quite a few photos... I will post them when I return to France.

Take Care and Merry CHristmas!

 
At 7:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have a hat? Sun-kissed is OK--burnt is not!

Made it to the resort--it actually snowed a little last night! There's high-speed internet in the room. Room, resort seem pretty nice.

Did you try to call on Thursday? I was vacuuming the car & by the time I got to the phone, nobody was there.

 
At 9:26 AM, Blogger Ovonia Red said...

Naw, I didn't try to call. I did call Dad last night and spoke to him for a few minutes.

Anyway, have a Merry Christmas everyone! I love you all and I'm sorry that I don't get to see any of you this Christmas (but let's face it, I'm in Morocco so how sorry can I really be?)

Much love!

 
At 12:52 AM, Blogger ELS Houston said...

Morocco! What an excellent destination choice!

I happened across your blog as I was perusing other assistants' sites. Hope your travels are going well and that this year has been rewarding so far.

After this program, I want to teach abroad also, though I'm not interested in being an assistant again. Let's talk! nathanwebbherrington@yahoo.com

 
At 11:13 PM, Blogger STAG said...

Got your Christmas card today. Very pretty! Shall definitely have to get together.

Bill

 

Post a Comment

<< Home