Saturday, February 04, 2006

Suggestions?

I have to design a "Global Book Club" for one of my classes this semester, and I figured that, because I have such an intelligent and well-read group of friends, I'd ask you guys for suggestions. I have to pick two books from each of the following regions (that is, the author must come from and write about the region):

Africa
Asia
North America
Central America
South America
Australia
Pacific Islands
Islands of the Atlantic Ocean
Islands of the Indian Ocean
Western Europe
Eastern Europe & Russia
Middle East

Because the main focus is reading, I can also use movies which have sub-titles in English. I can also use comic books/graphic novels. My overall theme for my selections is the individual's relationship with his or her government OR worlds in change. So, for example, one of my possible selections for the Middle East region will be Persepholis, written by a woman who grew up during the revolution. Another one of my possible selections is a murder mystery set in China in the early 1990s.

So, any suggestions?

3 Comments:

At 8:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Australia: My Place by Sally Morgan.
Movie suggestion: "Rabbit-proof Fence."

If you can stand very dated movies, you could try "Walkabout." But hey- two of the actors in it were also in Crocodile Dundee. :)

 
At 6:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't read your original post closely enough. None of the movies I mentioned rely heavily on subtitles. :)

 
At 8:12 AM, Blogger Ovonia Red said...

I thought Rabbit-proof Fence did have subtitles. Oh well. I could always just change the language track and then turn on the Closed Captioning...

DJ

 

Post a Comment

<< Home