Monday, February 13, 2006

Shake me up, Judy!

If anyone has been watching Bleak House, then you will be familiar with the ever-so-catchy new phrase: "Shake me up, Judy!"

Copied from http://www.wildbard.com/2005/12/shake-me-up-judy.html:
the astonishingly vile Mr Smallweed (magnificently played by Phil Davis) did not come to a grisly end as do most of Dickens' malefactors: a lonely painful diseased death, suicide or the gallows being the usual desserts for such characters. Still, his entry into every scene, borne on a chair carried by two long suffering, regularly beaten porters and accompanied by his hard-faced grasping daughter Judy resulted in a phrase which should come into every day use.
'Shake me up, Judy.'

Really, you have to see it to understand. I wonder if the phrase exists in the original Dickens or if a screenwriter was inspired by late-night viewings of Arrested Development (remember the bullet? "Shoot me!" And he contributed a "shake me" if memory serves me.)

So this goes in with my list of very awesome lines. SOme other are:

"It was arson. Someone arsin' about." (Wallace and Gromit and the Curse of the Warerabbit)

"Steve Holt!" (Arrested Development)

"We're not bad people, Mac... just underachievers who have to make up for lost time. " (Scotland, PA)

And the classic "That rug really tied the room together." (Do I really need to tell you?)

1 Comments:

At 7:51 PM, Blogger STAG said...

Beats "I'll be Back!".

I left a valentine on my blog for you dove.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home