Saturday, May 06, 2006

An Interview

Rules: Leave me a comment saying, "Interview me." I will respond by asking you five questions of a very intimate and creepily personal nature. Or not so creepy/personal. You will update your 'blog with the answers to the questions. You will include this explanation and an offer to interview someone else in the post. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions. Also, if you have five questions for me put them here and I'll get to them.


1) You've traveled all over the world. Of the places you've been, where is your favorite? Why?

I know it's a cliche, but I really, really liked Venice. There is just something magical about a city built on water. I also liked Avignon, in France, and Canterbury, in England.

2) How has your life changed since your surgery two years ago? What is easier? Harder? Would you do it again?

In a heartbeat. I haven't had any back pain--in fact, it is hard for me to even remember that my back was usually so sore at the end of the day that I was unable to lie down in my bed! I also think the surgery has made it easier for me to get in shape. I have to wear two sports bras to run... but I'm running!

The only thing I regret is not having been more adament about them taking more off. I still have problems finding swimsuits that fit.

But overall, I'm happy. And I highly, highly, highly recommend the surgery!! ; )

3) Why do you blog? What do you get out of it?

I started this 'blog before I went to France so my family and friends could keep up with my adventures. I've kept it up because I really like being connected. I'm not a big phone person and it can sometimes take me awhile to answer e-mails. But if I can read someone's 'blog, I can keep up with his or her life.

4) What's your favorite book? What about it touches you?

Oh shit, I always hate this question. I was a Lit. major, so I always feel pressured to write something intelligent and profound. Of course, I usually just sound like a complete blithering idiot.

At different points in my life, different books have affected me. WHen I was in third grade, I read _The Ordinary Princess_ and it really, really, really got me reading (not like I wasn't reading before, but it is one of the first books I remember reading). I remember _Bridge to Terebithia_ when I was in fifth grade. I remember Ray Bradbury in Middle School. In High School it was Steinbeck and Hesse. When I was in the Army it was Kafka, Heller, and Vonnegut (Yeah, I know--a little obvious. But I wasn't exactly dealing with much subtility then anyway). As an undergrad it was Faulkner and Morrison. Each author, at each point in my life, has answered a need that I have had. I can't really pin-point one author as having had the most influence on me, and I certainly can't name one book.

So, that's my cop-out answer. Sorry.

5) Tell me something silly one of your students did this semester. :-)

Hmmm... my students at SU haven't given me as many interesting stories as my UMBC students did. I'm working with Korean twins and they swap paper ideas. I can' tell them apart, but if one starts talking about a paper topic that I spoke to her sister about the day before, well, it gets a little weird.

I had a student from Sudan who wanted me to explain sexual harrassment. He had issues with it because he figured women acted too freely here anyway.

I mentioned to one Asian female student that I was on a diet. She looked at me and said, "Oh, but you're not fat. You're just a little, you know, overweight."

Last semester, I had one student bring in a Biology paper. In it, she talked about homogonizing a chicken. I asked her how she did this, and she said, "Oh, I put it in a blender."

So, yeah, it keeps me entertained.

10 Comments:

At 4:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh, interview me, baby. :)
Preferably the non-creepy questions.

And I'll think of 5 to ask you at some point....

 
At 5:36 PM, Blogger Ovonia Red said...

Anna:

1. Why did you chose to stay at VIrginai Tech? Would you ever consider leaving VT for, say SU?

2. What was your undergrad major? DId you have any minors? Are you working towards another degree now?

3. Cats, dogs, or other?

4. Do you plan on getting married and having kids someday?

5. Does it bother you to not have a sense of smell? What is the lamest joke anyone has ever made about that? If it is/were a possibility, would you go through an operation/process to get a sense of smell?


Hope these weren't too creepily personal. If they are, you can bitch-slap me through my 'blog and I'll try to come up with some better questions!

DJ

 
At 6:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's looo-ooooooooong....

1. Why did you chose to stay at Virginia Tech? Would you ever consider leaving VT for, say SU?


I graduated from Virginia Tech in 1999. Thought I was going to be done at the end of that spring semester, but as a result of one of my handful-or-so blood-pressure-raising memories (ooh, good blog topic. Mmm... the geography professor, Beamer, the neighbor with the dog....but that'll come later), I wound up needing one more class for a core area credit. I took that from (mom's) home as an independent study over the first summer session in 1999.
Anyway, I left Blacksburg in May 1999 and my short-term plan was to go back to Southside Virginia to finish planning my wedding before I moved to Poughkeepsie, NY, that October (post-wedding).
Didn't get married. One of my reasons/needs (aside from it not being the right guy) was that I felt like I needed to be independent for once--not going straight from being dependent on my mom to being (sortof) dependent on a husband. So...living with my mom at that point wasn't what I wanted; it didn't fit the need to be self-reliant. However, my tentative life course plans had just gone through the window and I had no idea what I wanted to do next. I stayed through the end of 1999 living with my mom and sister. I didn't want to go anywhere completely new/foreign, but I didn't want to stay "back home," either.... so I headed back to Blacksburg.

Part II: Yes, already there.

2. What was your undergrad major? Did you have any minors? Are you working towards another degree now?

Part I: Interdisciplinary Studies (IDST). I was accepted into Liberal Arts (thinking I'd be a teacher) when I was admitted to Virginia Tech, and Liberal Arts converted to Interdisciplinary Studies early in my time here.

Part II: IDST isn't really a major; it's having three minors. Yes, seriously. Now IDST majors have to have an "IDST program minor," and they can pick two of their own. I grandfathered in or because the program was in transition when I was in it, I got to pick all three of mine.
My minors were English (Creative Writing), Sociology, and Communications. I tried to sweep in a fourth, with Political Science (to have SOME substance to the degree), but I hated it and it was detrimental to my (admittedly, already less-than-stellar) grade point average, so I had to drop it.

Part III: Sortof. In 2004-2005, I took 12 credits' worth of Psychology and Statistics classes at the local community college to use towards a second bachelor's degree (in Psychology). Tentative plan was to get a better degree/better QCA, then apply for an MLS program. In taking the psych courses, though, I became interested in studying/researching the how/when/why differences in girls' and boys' learning.
Haven't taken any classes in the last 12 months, though, 'cause other things have taken financial priority. (I.e., water heater, furnace, back to making car payments, yaddayaddayadda.)

3. Cats, dogs, or other?

I liked cats when I was a young 'un. Now I think they're ornery.
If I get a pet, I'll probably go for fish. Apparently this might make my house smell, though, so be forewarned and gimme a clue if you ever notice it.
No dogs.

4. Do you plan on getting married and having kids someday?

Sometimes I can see it and sometimes not. Generally, though, I doubt it's going to happen.
I've felt a giddy rush of "I could MARRY this guy!! " more than once, but each time, it has faded. I'm not going to say this emotional whack-a-mole is disturbing, but it's made me seriously question whether I'm ready and/or would ever be ready for getting married. And I know I'm stubborn to a fault and..well...prolly difficult to live-with. IMDB attributes this quote to Katherine Hepburn, and I think maybe she was onto something: "I often wonder whether men and women really suit each other. Perhaps they should live next door and just visit now and then."
And, as much as I like kids, I'm pretty confident I do not have the patience, stamina, nor maturity for dealing with one/'em 24/7. There's uncertainty about these issues, then there's my stance. There is a difference, IMHO.

5. Does it bother you to not have a sense of smell? What is the lamest joke anyone has ever made about that? If it is/were a possibility, would you go through an operation/process to get a sense of smell?

Part I: For the most part, nope--I don't know and I don't care what I'm missing. On a rare occassion I'll wonder what somebody's hair/cologne/etc smells like. Ooh, I guess I should say that it occassionally makes for a slightly awkward situation when I fart silently, then I'm not sure whether I need to apologize or not.

Part II: A couple of folks have gotten great mischevious delight in pondering the notion that if they farted in my face, I wouldn't be able to smell it. To the best of my knowledge, nobody's tried it.
Not a joke, but perhaps the "lamest" chore I ever got for it was that I was in charge of filling the water trough/water tank in the pigpen because I didn't know how bad it smelled in there.

Part III: The first time it seriously (and briefly) crossed my mind was last year, when I went to Wake Forest to have an MRI done for documentation. (Long story, and this is long enough without it.) I initially misunderstood the otolaryngologist when he was reviewing my case and explaining stuff to me; I thought he thought a transplant was in order....which wasn't what I had expected/wanted at all. It was interesting to ponder, but I don't feel the need to do it.

 
At 1:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

(For Anna):

I grew up in a house with three fish tanks, and I've known a lot of people who have them, and I've never noticed any odor associated with them. I think they're okay as long as you take care of them properly. A lot of people fail to realize that fish tanks are a lot of work, by the time you keep them clean and fed and keep the water chemistries properly in balance.

- Deirdre's friend Shari

 
At 3:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I already asked your five. Now it's time for you to interview me. ;-)

 
At 3:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Urg - that last anonymous post (telling you it was your turn to interview me) was me.

- Shari

 
At 4:49 PM, Blogger Ovonia Red said...

Shari! (I was wondering who the hell that post was from. I was like, first question: who the hell are you?) I'm gonna post your questions here. You can answer them here or on your 'blog--s'up to you.

1) If you could have any job in the world, what would it be? ALso, if you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?

2) Have you thought of any potential kids' names yet?

3) What is your first memory?

4) What is your favorite book? Why? (Okay, stealing that one from you!)

5) What is the most embarrassing thing that you have done? (Heh, heh, heh. Too bad I can't use this for a wedding toast anymore!)

DJ

 
At 8:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read Shari's blog-response, but I couldn't comment thereon, therein, 'cause I don't do livejournal.
It was interesting, though. :)

 
At 10:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Anna,

Thanks. :-) I just allowed anonymous posting on my Livejournal, so you should be able to comment there if you want now. (I'm not sure that'll apply to past posts.) I'd be happy to have you there. :-)

Shari

 
At 4:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps in the manner of a snotty kid who pores over her options mercilessly, I've only got one question now, but I reserve the rest of 'em for later.
IF I were to come to the Salisbury area, where would you be in a year or two? Huh? (Ack! Dang! Two question marks!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home