Saturday, August 26, 2006

Basilica of Santa Maria di Guadalupe (Mexico City)




This was a huge complex--I will be adding more pictures of it later (my camera ran out of storage space AND the battery died at the same time, so I only got picture of the first HALF of everything we saw.) The first picture here is the Basilica itself (I think. There were at least five churches there. I'm, like, 89% positive this was the Basilica, though, so...). The second picture is the shroud of Turi--no, wait, different trip (and I never did find the shroud, not matter how hard I looked for it). This was the cloak of whats-his-nuts (Juan Diego--there, I looked it up) who saw the virgin Mary on a hilltop. When he came down and told the local religious dude, the dude smelled Juan's breath and laughed at him (okay, I made up the part about him smelling Juan's breath--it's not in the stories--but I would have smelled the breath of anyone who came to me claiming to have seen the virgin M. But I guess I'm just cynical that way.) Anyway, Juan went back up the hill, saw the V.M. again, wrapped her up in his cloak (okay, I made that up too), went back down the hill to religious dude, opened his cloak, and rose petals fell from his cloak at the feet of the R. dude. And, lo and behold (because that is the phrase the signals religious miracles, isn't it?), emblazoned on Juan's cloak was the picture of the V.M. And everyone was so astonished by the most miraculous of miracles they neglected to notice the paint on Senor Diego's fingers (okay, that's not in the story either, but the cynic in me just can't resist. No self control. Shameful, really.)

2 Comments:

At 5:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cynically interpreted tales are amusing. Yours was a great telling.

 
At 9:32 AM, Blogger Ovonia Red said...

I'm glad you found it amusing. After I posted it, I began to wonder if maybe people might find it just a little offensive. I mean, I do sort of make fun of perhaps the most important religious icon/story/belief in the entire country (and I feel a little bad, really I do. I just couldn't resist the inner cynic.)

Just wait until I interpret the Morman's big storyline...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home