Friday, November 03, 2006

Job Hunt

Well, it has started. The mad dash to employment. Right now I'm concentrating on schools in the Czech Republic and the Russian Federation.

Prague
pros:
-location, location, location
-large Expat community

cons:
-expensive
-most schools don't offer accomadation

Russia
pros:
-most schools offer accomadation
-I would get to learn a little bit of a language where people sound like they're talking through their throats and they're angry (yes, this is a pro. Russian is cool sounding.)

cons:
-Moscow is expensive (and most of the schools I've seen advertised are in Moscow)
-corruption and Chechnyan rebels

Hmm, well, we shall see. I'f I don't find anything in either of those two places, I'm going to expand my search a little (and seriously, if I can't find a teaching job in China, I really need to reconsider my career path). Meanwhile, I'm sending out CVs. Lots of CVs.

Funny, but a lot of the schools I'm looking at require their teachers to work with both children and adults. Damn. I'm going to have to start considering working with those little runts.

12 Comments:

At 6:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Such a great, global perspective. I'm a little awed. (...in awe?)

Kudos to Pat, compliments to you. Or vice-versa.

 
At 7:05 PM, Blogger Abu Mahmoud said...

Have you considered Pakistan or India?
I know in Pakistan, at least, English-format schooling as an industry has experienced incredible growth in recent years. English-medium schools were all over the place in Lahore when I visited. Honestly, you may actually be safer in Lahore or Islamabad than in Moscow (less gangsterism). The local culture is wonderful; the food is good, the music is good, the buses are psychedelically colourful, and the people are very hospitable.

 
At 7:23 PM, Blogger Ovonia Red said...

I would love to go to India, but I haven't seen any job postings for Egnlish teaching jobs there. Anyway, they would probably prefer "British" English. Pakistan... I don't know. I never considered it. Maybe I'll have to look into it a little more.

DJ

 
At 9:45 AM, Blogger STAG said...

Wherever you go, wear a cape. Women who wear capes never get assaulted.


(Hey, I don't make these things up!)

 
At 9:53 AM, Blogger Ovonia Red said...

Do ponchos count?

DJ

 
At 10:16 AM, Blogger STAG said...

Um, nope.

Maybe back to France? Or you could try to learn us Canucks how to talk eh.

 
At 12:36 PM, Blogger Ovonia Red said...

Stag, I'm actually keeping my eyes open for jobs in Canada. I found a part-time TESL/TEFL job in Ottawa. DO you know how difficult it is for US Americans to work (legally) in Canada?

Hil, the level of corruption in Russia is something that concerns me. I've done some (a lot of) research on the internet though, and I haven't yet encountered absolute horror stories yet (though I have read several stories about encounters with Russian police).

We shall see though.

DJ

 
At 10:08 AM, Blogger Jjirikki said...

Hey. I've been trying to get in touch with you I lost my phonebook. Good luck with your job hunt. I would love to see you sometime.

 
At 2:22 PM, Blogger STAG said...

Brenda would be thrilled to have you work here. I wonder if I could sponsor you as an employee. Pays little if at all, and you get free room. I have a room with a fireplace which is decorated with weapons.

 
At 7:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm...where does Canada stand on the Z/Zed debate? :)

 
At 11:26 AM, Blogger STAG said...

Oh Anna, you KNOW our alphabet goes from eh to zed.

 
At 12:20 PM, Blogger Ovonia Red said...

Oh Stag, you've just justified my getting out of bed this morning! Eh to zed!

I have a phone interview with a language school in the Czech Republic tomorrow morning. I'm nervous as hell. I just have to keep reminding myself that I do actualy know what I'm talking about... sometimes...

DK

 

Post a Comment

<< Home