Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Update

Nothing new to mention, really--I just felt that I ought to post some sort of update. I'm almost halfway through my third week in Jersey. After this week, I only have three more weeks to go. I don't feel as though I've been as productive this year as I was last year. Oh well. As long as I produce some good, solid items--well, I guess that is the main thing, right?

Hmmm, saw Grandparents last weekend, going on a camping trip next weekend. The weekend before last I drove back down to give a presentation--it went really well, I felt (and the feedback was positive). So I've been a busy little beaver.

Unfortunately, I seem to have forgotten how to sleep in all this excitement. I'm absolutely exhausted, but when I lie down, my mind continues to race and I can't get to sleep. This has gone on long enough that now I've psyched myself out about the whole thing--I feel like I've forgotten how to fall asleep and I'm trying to over think the whole thing. Ah well. I figure that eventually I'll get tired enough that there will be no way I can't not fall asleep. I just hope it doesn't happen while I'm driving--or worse, while I'm at work.

3 Comments:

At 9:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Friday!

It's practically the weekend. Enjoy/relax/have some tea.
Get some zzz's.

Take care. :)

--Anna

 
At 9:07 AM, Blogger STAG said...

Thats the problem with being smart...all that thinkin'!

Doctor Stag recommends a goodly amount of physical activity early in the morning and through the day, and none several hours before a rigidly scheduled bed time. The most important one...use your bed for sleeping. Not for reading, or sitting up with a cup of tea, or anything pleasurable or your body will get used to it, and refuse to sleep. A short nap in the afternoon will screw up your sleep cycle too...better to shake it off, and go for a walk.

When all else fails, velvet masks, ear plugs, flat pillows often do the trick.

My insomnia seemed insurmountable until I tried these fairly basic tricks, and I am glad I did.

Of course, 20 years in the military meant that the only way I could get a really good sleep was to sit in the bed of a pickup truck. And I still get my best performance from a four on four off shift. I get headaches from sleeping too long, and an interupted sleep works great! I often say I sleep like a baby...wake up screaming every four hours. Might be something to be said for that...grin!

 
At 9:22 PM, Blogger Ovonia Red said...

Finally figured out how to deal with the insomnia. I just had to change my way of thinking. Instead of thinking, "Oh man, it's 3am, I have to wake up in three hours. I'm gonna be exhausted." I started thinking, "Oh man, it's 11pm. I'm totally exhausted, but I can' allow myself to go to sleep before midnight." For some reason, that worked.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home