Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Wackyness

So, in my ever-so-boring Educational Research class last night, the teacher said that, in a recent study, Salisbury was considered one of the most dangerous cities in the USA.

Naturally, I had to check this out.

Fast-forward to the internet search. Hmm. List of America's most dangerous cities... Washington DC, Detroit, St Louis, Baltimore, Compton... hey, where's Salisbury? Where is the big, bad city of Salisbury, MD? Well, let's try another study. And another. And another. (In an ever-so-shocking upset, Baltimore beat out Compton in the dangerous list.)

No luck finding this study. And this is my Ed Reasearch prof! Making up false studies! Claiming that this middle of nowhere is -gasp- dangerous.

Anyway, if anyone finds this mythical study, let me know. I will post it and write an unofficial apology to both Baltimore and Compton for mocking them.

4 Comments:

At 6:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now, now, pupil. You might be slandering your teacher. There may well be a small study out there proclaiming that Salisbury one of America's most dangerous cities. Isn't this a good example of always checking who/what/when/etc about a research study?
You oughtta call the teacher on this next class - at least ask for data/etc from the research study. (What's that? You want to pass the course? Ahh, nevermind....)
Part of me is sure this is a test from the teacher, part of me fears that it's some of the teacher's pet research... *shrug*
G'luck with that. And not finding the city's danger. :)

 
At 1:03 PM, Blogger STAG said...

This is an "Educational Research" course? How could a teacher complain about you actually DOING educational research on the course.

This is soooooo a test.

But as Anna says....how do you handle it? I think the best way would be to find out more about the parameters of "dangerous" (It might be the spider bite capital of the US? Or maybe not, but you didn't ask did you?)

If the teacher drops hints that you should truncate your research, then do it....move on to more fruitful and egocentric things....Tuscan cheese comes to mind....

 
At 1:24 PM, Blogger Ovonia Red said...

Based on my extensive amount of time in that class, I am positive that this is not a test. He said it during a student's presentation on the effect of violence on children (a study which was conducted in Oakland, CA) and his comment was more in response to something soneone else said. I bet that if I brought it up in class, he would not even know what I was talking about.

The class brings out my egotistical side. I start to forget that there are so many gullible, non-critical thinking people in the world. And a RESEARCH class is a depressing place to find so many of them.

How do you say it again? "Two more weeks and a wake-up"? I think that is what the soldiers said in basic training as the end approached. But I forget.

Speaking of Basic Training, I told one of my (many) tampon stories to my Principles of Linguistics class the other week. And I just realized that I have way too many tampon stories. Hm.

 
At 3:58 PM, Blogger STAG said...

My blogger friend Zlanth is going through French training right now. You might like his experiences...

http://zlanth.blogspot.com/

I was also noticing your "French Games" on your main page....there was one called "Billet Noir". Isn't a Billet Noir a condom?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home