Sunday, December 02, 2007

Sighisoara, Romania

Sighisoara, Romania--birthplace of Vlad the impaler (Dracula). Actually, Vlad's birthplace was rather modest (I had been expecting a dark castle isolated atop a mountain somewhere). Instead, he was born in a house in the centre of the village (and catty-corner to a church, coincidently). Anyway, as cliched as it all is, the birthplace of Vlad the impaler was the perfect first stop for me. Having just come from Istanbul, I could more than relate to the desire to impale Turkish men...



2 Comments:

At 6:19 PM, Blogger STAG said...

Of course, why would you find it odd that Vlad would be born so close to a church. When he grew up, he took his father's place in the Order of the Dragon, confirmed by King Sigisimund himself!

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger Ovonia Red said...

It's not that I found it odd that he had been born so close to a church, but that, given all the legends/mythology surrounding him, he was born in a (somewhat) modest house in the center of a major city. His image is such that I had always associated him with a dark, imposing castle on top of a secluded hill--though I ought that have remembered a bit more consciously that story and reality are often far removed from one another... (And at some point I will post pictures of the castle that supposedly inspired Bram Stoker to write Dracula).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home