Sunday, August 10, 2008

Culture. Art. Sculpture. Hilarity ensues.

Just had a culture-packed couple of days. Friday, after work, I went down to the Grounds for Sculpture (yeah, that one is just packed with meaning, isn't it? I kept passing signs for it on the way to and from work, and figured it was some type of sculpture garden--but then again, it could have been simply a reason or reasons to create a sculpture... or even just a bunch of coffee grounds to sculpt with.)

Anyway, here are some of the pictures:







Of course, it wasn't all just re-creations of impressionist paintings (and Matisse). I mean, how kitchy would that be? There were some other things there as well:





(Stoopid willow tree...)


(This one is for all my fantasy-reading friends out there...)


It was on the Grounds for Sculpture, so it must be art, right? Right. Except for when it is not art. I found this out after having to duck quickly for cover in a building when a thunderstorm blew up. It was over in a few minutes, so I left the building and continued on my way. I started down a new path, towards the back of the garden, snapping pictures of sculptures that caught my eye. Across one lawn, slightly behind another, larger metal sculpture, I saw a circle of flat rectangles in bright colors. I thought, "Wow. That's really bright. Look at those cool colors. I have to go check it out." So, I started walking towards it. When I got there, I stood in the middle of the circle and started looking at the ground for a plaque. It took me a couple of second of looking before I looked at the circle again and realized it was really just a bunch of yoga mats that had been abandoned when it started storming.

(Don't you just love how I put my more humiliating moments on this 'blog for people to laugh at?)

---

Saturday I went to New York City to visit the Metropolitan Museum of Art and the Cloisters (going to the Cloisters is almost like going on a pilgrimage, in that it is a painful process to actually get there).
Obligatory New York City skyline as seen from Central Park picture.

Hmm... this looks vaguely familiar...


I've decided that when I finally get a home, I gonna need me some cloisters.

Jesus, S&M style...

Since I'm already going to hell, can I just say that I can never again look at a Madonna and Child without thinking "Baby Jesus with rickets." Thanks a bunch, Hil.



1 Comments:

At 8:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where in the world is Carmen San DiegoDeirdre now?

--Anna

 

Post a Comment

<< Home