Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Interjection.

I promised Barry that I would post something on my blog about this (and I will certainly be posting more in the future). Mom's and my neighbor, David, died earlier this year (I hate to use euphemisms, and I figure David would not have minded my not using one here). A perfect neighbor for Mom (he loved gardening and collected dishes. In fact, our Christmas presents from him last year were dishes from his collection). Sharp, witty, clever, and he had lived a fascinating life. Anyway, he left both Mom and me some money in his will--$7,500 each. In true Mom fashion, she is going to spend it on the house and yard (in fact, I think it may be gone already--she just had the house painted. As she says, it is no longer "nipple pink"). And I, in true Deirdre fashion, will be spending it on travel. Where to? Well, I was thinking about doing something that I normally wouldn't do--like a cruise to Antarctica. Or an African safari. Or something. I'll come up with some unique idea. But I'll post more about it in the future.

4 Comments:

At 4:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, but on the flip side, it seems like you and your mom were pretty darn good neighbors for him, too.

It's nice that he recognized you and your friendship (neighborship?)...and that y'all are pursuing such neat ventures with it.

Stay warm/dry!

--Anna

 
At 4:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking of euphemisms...

I went to Chicago last week. (My department paid for me to go to a national academic advising conference. I'm going to bug your mom to see if she can go to it next year. And can I just say how much I love my department? It is awesome.)
I flew to O'Hare, had no plan for getting to the hotel. Started walking other-terminal'wards, found an information desk.
(The information desk was manned by an older German gentleman. He asked if I was in the military because I kept calling him "sir.")
I explained where I needed to go and asked about non-taxi transportation alternatives. He mentioned the train system.
I told him where I was headed (300 East Ohio), he gave me a map and charted how I was supposed to take the blue line to the red line, get off at a station, and the hotel should be...three blocks over there.
He asked about my luggage. I had a backpack and a suitcase; I said I'd be fine walking 3 blocks. This might've been before he asked if I was military.
He marked where he thought the hotel would be.
He figured the taxi would've been ~40-60 bucks. The train pass was $2.
I took the train. Switched trains, no worries. Got off at the right stop, no worry. Wasn't sure which way to go when I got up to Ohio St. I started walking...couldn't tell which way the street numbers were going for a block or two, but then I saw a perpendicular-street name. I realized it was in the opposite direction of where I was supposed to be going. *sigh* I turned around.
I got all the way to ~300 WEST Ohio before I realized that I'd really started in the right direction.
So... surely it's entirely believable that I turned a three block walk into...more like a 12-14 block walk. :)

I told someone about it later, and she mentioned a shuttle option that might've been like $30.

My response was something to the effect that yeah, but then I wouldn't have been able to showcase my streetwalking & navigation skills.

How's THAT for euphemism/spin/sarcasm? :)

--Anna

 
At 1:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

well, if neither work out there's always the Cecilia clothing fund!

I thought you were going to settled down after this trip...I see you're already changing your mind...

-lil sis

 
At 4:17 PM, Blogger Ovonia Red said...

Anna, you really *do* have some mad streetwalking skills...

lil sis, I´m already thinking about what country I want to live in next. Africa is calling, you know...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home