Saturday, November 26, 2005

Dude, don't buy a Dell...

Well. My Dell saga continues... I received an e-mail from them letting me know that my case was resolved and that I would receive a survay. Yes, nice that it ws resolved, now how about telling me how it was resolved? Am I going to be required to pay for some random charge that wound up on my account or not?

So, I went to the website they had listed, and ws asked for my e-mail address and password. Huh? So I went to retreive password and entered my e-mail address (the one where I had just been sent an e-mail). Address not found.

I swear I will make it my life's misson to make sure that no one I know buys a Dell computer. ("Hello. My name is Inigeo Montoya, you killed my father...") But seriously, I am frustrated.

First my hard drive starts to crap out on me. I called Dell. Some dude told me to run a diagnostic, which turned up bad sectors in my hard drive. He then told me to ignore them. As a result, when my hard drive finally crashed, I lost about, oh, I don't know, 40 gigs of data. So I had to get a replacement hard drive (the laptop is not even a year old at this point). I pointed out to Dell that it was responsible for retreiving any data it could from my dead drive because it was Dell's fault that I did not back up the data in anticipation of the demise of my computer storage (I did save some of to disks, but I lost a lot.) It was Dell's negligence is not mentioning to me that bad sectors spread which caused me to lose all that I did. But no, Dell dropped the ball. It did send me a new hard drive (which I have a feeling has already started to crap out) and made me send the old drive back. I asked to keep the drive longer (so I could hunt down some computer nerd to bail me out) but the oh-so-friendly company refused.

Keep in mind that during all this, I was receiving at least two calls a day from Dell asking me to fill out their survay (and telling me to rate its customer service highly).

Next month I receive a bill from Dell. The comp' is all paid off, so I figure they've bunged it up and charged me for the replacement hard drive. So I call. Turns out the change ($139 and some change) is from a third party company and is some save-twenty-percent-when-you-go-to-the-movies deal. I asked how it wound up on my card. They had no clue. So I told them to remove it. The dolt on the line told me it would be taken care of in 48 to 36 hours. So I called four days later to close the account. The new dolt on the other end informed me that I could not close the account because there was a charge on it. Hmm. A 139 dollar (and some change) charge. And no, there was no history of my having called to have the charge removed. But it would have to be submitted to a manager. Meanwhile, I wanted to know, could I close my account so that no more random charges would appear? No. (Of course not). But the manager should make a decision in two weeks. By the way, could I fill out a survey, remembering that the service representitives's ability to feed his sixteen children was dependent upon my giving him an outstanding rating?

Two weeks later I call again. At least this time there is a record of my case. But it will take about two months for it to be cleared up (during which time the charge earns penelties and interest--which I don't have to pay if the case is decided in my favor). At this point I'm having flashbacks to the Army and thinking about Kafka. And yes, I'm still receiving several phone calls (and e-mails) asking me to fill out that damned survey. (Maybe I will send this in lieu of the survey. Yes, I think I will. By the way, I wonder how many calories angry typing burns).

And now this. My mother informs me that if I ever buy another Dell she will disown me. Well, it's not something that either of us have to worry about. Well, we'll see what happens.

5 Comments:

At 8:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The scary part is . . . (drumroll please)

As bad as they are, they're still better than the other ones. *sigh* I won't buy another Dell desktop - I'll get Rob to build me one. :-) For a laptop, though, I'd probably still go with a Dell. There aren't a lot of choices, and HP's customer service is even worse.

Shari

 
At 9:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh. That one's a crapshoot. I'm glad you've been lucky with your HPs. :-) So far, my family has been pretty lucky with Dells. *knocking wood here, too*

 
At 12:45 PM, Blogger Ovonia Red said...

Sounds like maybe there's a human genome that reacts adversly to certain computer brands.

DJ

 
At 6:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

*LOL* I don't think it has much to do with the human genome. I just know that the laptops are roughly equivalent, and so is the tech support. Neither is actually any better than the other. You just happened to have an unlucky experience with a Dell, but if your Mom's HP had a problem, she'd probably be in a similar pickle.

We are thinking of buying a Dell laptop. Will you still be my friend?

Shari

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger Ovonia Red said...

Hmmm, well, I do owe you... so...

Okay. I'll still be your friend.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home