Friday, January 19, 2007

Bleh...

I have about twenty minutes to kill as I wait for someone to scheduling to return from a lunch break. She wants me to take two more classes. I don't know how I feel about that, but my mentor here informs me that it is best not to piss of scheduling, as they have a lot of control over one's life. After seeing some of the schedules of folks around here, I am trying to tread carefully. I want to add more classes, but I want to do it slowly--maybe a new class every two or three weeks.

Last night it was really windy--it reminded me of Valence. I almost wished I hadn't lost weight because I was nearly blown away a couple of times on my walk home. I tried to be careful about what I was walking under--I saw some loose bricks and also a former window planter on it's side on the sidewalk. I didn't want to be done in in Prague by a falling window plant, so I tried to keep from walking too close to the buildings (which put me in danger of being blown out into the street and being done in by a tram or car).

I packed last night for my big move today. It only took me about 20 minutes--I think that is the fastest I've ever packed for a move! I've accumulated a lot of books for my classes--they are not mine, they are borrowed from the library here. Each class has a different book (which is another reason I don't want to take on too many classes at once. It takes me awhile to familiarize myself with a new book).

I also don't want to take on too many classes because I want to leave time for Czech, French, and Tai Chi. Finding a Tai Chi instructor is going to be my major task for next week. I have a couple of options that I've found that I would like to check out. If I can't find anyone, I think I will do a different style of Martial Art and just work on the Tai Chi on my own (in my, ha, spare time). But I want to do something. I considered taking a dance class with my soon-to-be-former roomie, but I really liked the Martial aspects of Tai Chi, and I would like to learn more Martial stuff (yea, kicking. Not-so-yea, punching.)

Rambling here. I feel absolutely zapped--Don't know why. I got enought sleep last night. Maybe because I didn't get my shower/bath this morning. There was absolutely NO hot water. Not even any tepid water. ust freezing cold, break the ice before you wash water.

Why do I keep hearing the Final Countdown here? (80s song by Europe). Is it because this is a former communist country? And why do I associate that song with communism anyway? Anyone? Write ten sentences exploring the relationship between the Final Countdown and Communism for homework. We will discuss them in the next class.

5 Comments:

At 7:40 AM, Blogger Abu Mahmoud said...

I'm glad to see you survived Windstorm Kyril; apparently two young men died near Prague. I always thought that the final countdown had to do with Nuclear war and was thus relevant to a cold war context. And you can't have the Cold War without communism.

 
At 12:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You fit so much into your world...and your schedule. :)

What's new, food-wise?

 
At 6:17 AM, Blogger Ovonia Red said...

I don't know why, but Gob never occurred to me (in a little Freudian typing slip, I had to change Gob from God there).

Anna, I'm not sure if I should take your comment that I fit into Eastern/Central Europe as a compliment or an insult! ;)

Lugman, I had had no idea that the windstorm was so major until I caught some CNN (and read your post). I wasn't sure if it was normal for Prague or not.

And I'd never really thought much about the meaning of the Final Countdown, but I always tend to associate it with Russia/Eastern Europe/Communism. Occasionally, as I walk through the streets of Prague, I am reminded that I'm only a couple of decades removed from Communism (well, less than, actually). I don't always know what it is that triggers that thought, but sometimes I get a sense of an "otherness" that I never really experienced in France (or anywhere else in Europe).

 
At 8:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh...my comment does say that, but I actually meant that you manage to squeeze-and-cram, "fit," not merge-and-blend, "fit." ;)

But I'd venture to assert that you'd fit in, too...pending passage of the language and food identification barriers.

How's it going? I saw your newer picture, but I haven't seen stories of Deirdre's triumph over grosherstorophobia. Lookin' forward to 'em.

And that was me trying to be cutesy w/ "grocery store phobia."

Sincerely,
....the fart

 
At 6:40 AM, Blogger Ovonia Red said...

Grocery Store trips are gradually getting better. I'm currently working my way through the selection of sliced ham (massive) and sliced Gouda or Edam cheese (zillions of kinds of cheese, as long as they are Gouda or Edam. So far, I really can't taste a difference between the two).

I managed to identify Ground Beef the other day at the store--I am sooooo proud of myself for that. One of the grocery chains sometimes puts pictures of the animal the meat comes from (a chicken, a pig, a cow, or a blender)--the chain is expensive, but PICTURES!!!!! I love PICTURES!!!!!

I also managed to buy a giant loaf of Rye Bread last weekend (I'm slowly working my way through the different varities of bread here as well). Now I just need to find some Corned Beef (ha ha ha ha ha--I doubt that will ever happen), get some saurkraut and swiss (or Edam or Gouda), and make myself some Reubens.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home