Friday, January 12, 2007

Not Homeless!

Yea! I found a place to live! I haven't signed anything yet, but the guy who showed me the place said that, of all the people who had come to see it, I was the best. (Me! The best! Yea! Again!). I just need to meet the roommate (another English teacher from the States--a girl from San Diego). The owner of the building rents out the rooms seperately. He is fluent in English (and most of the tenents are foreigners like me). He seems to be very involved in the upkeep of the building (he has just replaced the roof and has been gradually renovating the rooms), he seems to know the other tenents pretty well--oh, and he was very supportive. We looked at my map of Prague to find the best ways for me to get from the flat to my morning lessons. He was obviously very proud of his building (which I think is a positive sign).

The flat was very nice--it had been recently renovated (there was a stand-up shower AND bathtub!!!!!!). The room itself is great. It is a little smaller than the one I am in now (so I don't know if I will be able to do my Tai Chi in there), but all the stuff is new. The bed seemed pretty comfortable. There is a couch, a wardrobe, a dresser, a table with chairs, and a television (!). It is on the top floor of the building, so the ceiling kind of slopes in a couple of places (very cool)... and the building has a lift, so, yea! The kitchen has a big fridge AND a freezer AND (believe it or not) a microwave!

The location is not excellent, but it is not bad (Zizkov, for those of you who have maps. For those who don't, www.mapy.cz). I am a couple of tram stops away from two different metro stations, so... (yeah, and once I get the bus lines figured out--maybe my next big project--I might discover a more direct way to get from the flat to my classes (scattered across Prague).

I think I will need to buy some sheets for the bed, but I think that is it. The price is at the top of my range (but it is still within my range), and utilities are included.

Wow, it has been a totally crazy week. I can't belive it is over (and that i passed through it all relatively unscathed). I need to do some serious blogging this weekend to catch you guys up on:

My trip to the doctor
My apartment shopping trip
my Chicken buying experience
My thoughts on cussing
My students and classes
My ribs

And I still need to post about the hostel (I'm working on it, Anna, I promise).

Anyway, I'm gonna work on that now on my laptop and maybe post all that stuff sometime next week (if I have time--I'm going to be moving, after all).

3 Comments:

At 12:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is that a train station I see in Zizkov? Location looks very good to me, but what do I know of Prague? Can I bunk on the couch when I come to visit? Internet service?

Congrats on the find. My fingers are crossed.

As for sheets:

http://www.ikea.com/ms/cs_CZ/

mom

 
At 12:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

All-around good news!!

Glad to hear it...I'm also Glad It's Friday! :)

 
At 2:27 PM, Blogger Ovonia Red said...

Mom,

It's a double bed, so you could just sleep in the bed with me. The couch is a little too short for sleeping on.

I don't know about the train station... there is one pretty close, though, I think. There is a tram stop really close to the apartment. (Trams 1, 9, and 18... I think).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home