Saturday, February 10, 2007

Czech Prez in the News...

(Article copied from www.yahoo.com)

Czech President Klaus survives Roddick serve

OSTRAVA, Czech Republic, Feb 9 (Reuters) - Czech President Vaclav Klaus's bodyguards are trained to dive in front of bullets to ensure his safety. But apparently that does not apply to tennis balls as well.

Klaus, sitting in the front row of the Czech Republic's Davis Cup tie against the United States, was on the receiving end of a serve from Andy Roddick, owner of the fastest serve in the game today.

Roddick's blast bounced up and hit Klaus, an avid tennis player himself, in the chest. The president was unhurt in the incident. Roddick played on unaware.

"I didn't notice that," Roddick said, smiling when told about the incident.

"But I said in warm-up that most of the time, there's a net behind the wall and I saw that this one (arena) didn't have one, so someone might be dodging some tennis balls today. But I promise you that it was nothing personal." Roddick, who holds the record for the fastest serve at 154 miles per hour (247.8 kmh) added insult to injury by going on to beat Czech Ivo Minar in the match.

------------

Speaking of news....
Anna Nicole Smith is dead! I still can't get over that. I know I'm not supposed to care--I'm supposed to turn my nose up at the low brow reporting of tabloid news events, but... I just can't look away. CNN over here hasn't had anything on about her (focus was astronaut, then meeting in Mecca, then violence at the... forgot the name... something gate... Middle East). But so far nothing on ANS. I may have to flip on the news after I go grocery shopping to see if there is anything today. But wow... I feel like this is the end of a cultural era for the US of A. Am I totally nuts in thinking this? (For the record, I'm being slightly ironic, but only slightly. I'm mostly just bewildered about why I'm so fixated on the whole thing. Seriously, what is wrong with me?)

4 Comments:

At 4:38 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I ate lunch at an Applebee's on Friday, and every TV in the place had 'All Anna Nicole, All the Time'. If I didn't know better, I might think that Rove had had the poor creature assassinated to give the administration a brief respite...everybody in the place was talking about it, and I was a little surprised to find that the tone of their comments was universally sympathetic: nobody was snarky or denigrating.
I found it very interesting.

 
At 5:05 PM, Blogger Ovonia Red said...

That is really interesting--that no one was being snarky about it. I'd like to get other folks' comments on Anna Nicole news in the States--how people are treating it, how often (and for how long) it is appearing on tv, etc, etc.

DJ

 
At 5:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I noticed I would watch one news report on her death...then turn it off as soon as it was over, totally uninterested in what's going on in the rest of the world.

I've always been the gossip queen though. All my coworkers come to me when they want to know the latest on what celebrity is dating who. I'm just a wealth of useless knowledge...

Rowan

 
At 7:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.journalism.org/node/4096

*shrug*
I read someone's perceived difference in, say, Anna Nicole Smith and Paris Hilton. Paris Hilton being dumb/annoying/vapid/selfish, but for Anna Nicole Smith people might take her background into account and think "if I could help her/talk to her/etc, she might clean herself up."
And the chest size....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home