Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Brussels Sprouts (redux, I think)

I know I wrote a post a few months back entitled Brussels Sprouts. I never would have thought it, but the topic has come up again (maybe because I actually eat--and enjoy--Brussels Sprouts).

So. Today I brought in some Brussels Sprouts (frozen) and nuked them for lunch. I got the the lunch table, opened up my plastic container of fresh, hot Brussels Sprouts, and watched one of the other interns (the 18 year old) do a double take.

"What the heck is that?!" he exclaimed.

"You're joking." (Me).

Him: "Uhhhh, no."

Me: "You know what these are. There is no way you don't know."

Him: "No, I don't know. Honestly."

Me: "These are Brussels sprouts."

Him: "Oh yuck! I hate Brussels sprouts!"

(No, I'm creative, but I'm not creative enough to make something like that up out of thin air.)

Me: "How can you hate Brussels sprouts if you don't even know what they are?"

Him: "I know what they are. I try to avoid them."

Me: "How can you avoid them if you don't even know what they look like?"

Him: "Uhhhh.."

Yeah. And this was following my rather odd experience with Sally Sunshine at the microwave, who asked me if I wasn't afraid of microwaving plastic. I was like, well, it is microwave proof. It's pretty thick, I don't think it is going to melt. And she was like, well, aren't you worried about the carcinogens from the plastic? I was like, WTF? Like, thanks for trying to ruin my lunch of delicious Brussels sprouts (which probably have cancer-righting properties, so it all evens out in the end. So there!)

4 Comments:

At 6:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh...I've witnessed a Chemistry professor (specialized in Physical Chemistry/Polymers and Materials, even!) nuke a sandwich wrapped in plastic wrap. He even commented on the possible/probable unhealthy repercussions of microwaving the plastic. So you're not alone. And your brussel sprouts might indeed have had more anti-cancer goodness than his cheese sandwich.

And...for what it's worth, I'm not sure I could identify brussel sprouts. (And I grew up on a farm!)

 
At 10:22 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Those are little cabbages right? I think they are great, slathered in butter and salt. But then, most things are good slathered in butter and salt....

----stag
(too lazy to sign in!)

 
At 8:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bill,
Germans call Brussel Sprouts "Rosenkohl" which literally means "rose cabbage".

DJ's love of this veggie comes from her childhood; while in Germany, it graced our table often. Slathed in good European butter, fixed fresh (it really starts to get the cabbage vibe if you let it sit around before fixing it), it's heaven! Anna, you may not have grown it--it's a fall veggie, and possibly isn't grown that far south (not sure).

But my dear, I thought you were going on a milkshake diet!

Mom

 
At 5:02 PM, Blogger Ovonia Red said...

No, no milkshakes for me today. But I might make the one block trek (gasp!) to 7-11 for some Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream. Feel like I'm coming down with something... like a bad case of self-pity.

Had Brussels sprouts for lunch again today. I actually found kohlrabi in Wegmans (amazing store, by the way), but it was TEENY TINY! I think that was the first (and will probably be the only) time I'd ever seen something that was bigger in Europe than in the States.

Meanwhile, gonna cut tango class tonight. I'm really not fit for human society at this point. Best I can do is book and ice cream, and start again tomorrow morning. (I was attacked by the bathroom door last night and the kitchen cabinet this morning. I have war wounds. I'm suffering from PTSD and quite possibly a splinter under my thumb nail. On my right hand. My thumb needs chocolate covered peanut butter filled pretzel ice cream. It is my patriotic duty to provide my poor wounded thumb with it. I'm making no sense right now. But I'm fine with that.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home