Saturday, July 08, 2006

Clerks II

Ha! I'm excited about Clerks II coming out--I know it will be dumb, but seeing as how I am currently a "Clerk" (and a little too close to 30), I think I might enjoy the movie. I've seen a couple of trailers (and it doesn't look as good as the first one), but I will still go and see it.

Speaking of the first one (Clerks), I think I need to watch it again. I haven't seen it in years, but I find myself remembering lines (such as, "This job would be great if it wern't for the customers" and "Merchant of Death!"). Hmmm, maybe I will theatre-hop between Clerks II and another movie (Pirates of the C?).

Nothing too crazy has happened in the past two days. No co-workers arrested, no near riots involving cigerattes, and no evictions/arrests/fights. (I guess I need to put some of these down on the 'blog).

The arrested co-worker:

Rob (who was probably in his late 40s) worked the night shift. I had spoken to him a few times and he helped me out some when I just started. I came to the conclusion that he was an okay guy. Anyway, one morning, as I was ringing up a customer, this lady in plain clothes (but with a gun on her hip) walked into the store and stood by the register.

"Shit," I thought, "I must have sold some kid cigerattes and I'm going to be fined and I'll spend the rest of my life broke and never work again (thinking back to the scene in Clerks where Randell sells a 4-year-old cigerattes). Anyway, when the customer I was helping left, the lady walked up to me, flipped through a stack of papers, and placed a mug shot on the counter right in front of me.

"Do you know this man?" It was Rob.

"Uhh, yeah."

"Does he work here?"

"Uhh, yeah."

"Is he here right now?"

"Noooo..."

"When does he come in?"

"Uhh, not until Friday." (Did I mention it was Wednesday?) "Uh, let me call the owner..."

I called the boss-man, left a message, and the lady left. About an hour later, she came back and went in the back to talk to boss-man. Turns out Rob was wanted for violation of parole. Hm, okay, but what did he do before that?

Anyway, a few hours later, Rob stopped by to pick up his check. I called up to boss-man and said, "ROb's here for his check."

Boss man said, "Did you tell him?"

"No."

"Good. Don't." So I sat there, chatting to Rob, and after about five minutes boss-man walked in followed by two cops. And Rob was led off in handcuffs.

So this is the second job I've worked where another worker has been led off in handcuffs. How exciting for me.

3 Comments:

At 4:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking of CLERKS, did you know there's an alternate ending?
It used to be on Kevin Smith's website (www.viewaskew.com), but it looks like maybe it's now (only) available on the Laserdisc/DVD you can buy?
I thought it was a better/more tied-in ending when I saw it.

Well, chick, I don't know how I'd react to a co-worker being led off in handcuffs (although, apparently, I've worked with and/or at the same place as some folks who have).

You're just building character, Calvin-n-Hobbes style.
Just don't go into work when you're not supposed to be there that day!!

 
At 4:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alrighty.
Just took...a little...more...digging.

Fourth from the bottom.

http://www.viewaskew.com/clerks/laserdisc.html

 
At 10:22 AM, Blogger STAG said...

Old story....three guys discuss crimminal intent. Two are idiots, and one is an undercover RCMP officer.

Two of my employees have left my employ and gone on to just that scenario. They both wish they had stuck with me!

Bill

 

Post a Comment

<< Home