Friday, July 27, 2007

Freezing to Death

It is REALLLLLLLYYYYY cold where I work. I wish I had thought to bring my long johns with me. You know, I brought them to Prague and never really needed them, but I didn't ever think I would need them in Jersey in July. Well, in the office in Jersey in July.

Anyway, I have to share this story... the other day at lunch, the interns were all talking about what they were going to do with their money from this job (we're being paid pretty well. If this were a year-round job, I'd be making several times more than the most I've ever made in my life--and more than I ever really expect to make [adjusting for inflation]). Anyway, the adults (that is, the over 21s) were all talking about using the money for rent, credit card bills, etc, etc. The 18 year old (the one going to Georgetown in the Fall) and the 20 year old (the one at Princeton) were quiet during this entire conversation.

As we were leaving the cafeteria, the 18 year old and 20 year old walked ahead of us adults for a bit, then turned around to wait for us. When we reached them, the 18 year old said to me (and I swear I'm not making this up), "Wow. This job is just for, like, some extra spending money for us. But for you guys it's, like, a real job."

Kids say the darndest things.

I was like, well, you guys are going to some pretty expensive schools. Surely this money is going to pretty much have to go towards tuition. They were like, uhhhhhhh, no. All spending money.

Crazy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home