Monday, July 09, 2007

New Job

So, I've settled into my new place in New Jersey and I had my first day of work today. I won't say too much--there are confidentiality agreements and whatnot--but I think it will be cool. There are a lot of returning interns who really liked working here last year, so...

I haven't had too many issues with re-entry culture shock (not as bad as when I got back from France, when I just felt lost for weeks). The main things:

1. I'm still trying to remember that I CAN'T walk everywhere. I keep asking where things are and then how far away they are in hopes that I can find SOMEPLACE I can walk to. So far, nothing.

2. I keep forgetting that I can dry clothes instantly--that it doesn't take a couple of days on a drying rack (or here, probably about a month, given the humidity).

Then there are the smaller things. When I first got back to Mom's house, I kept reaching in the wrong place for the doorknobs. They were a couple of inches higher where I was living before... and those couple of inches make all the difference in the world.

Also, I kept feeling the toilet paper. It was SOOOO much softer... a nice change after using sandpaper for six months.

What else... there is more, but I'm a little tired right now. I'll write more later. Probably. But then again, I keep promising to "write more later." Hmmm.... must work on that.

3 Comments:

At 9:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you're safely back (...well, in New Jersey...) and re-acclimating/re-adjusting well. ;)

 
At 7:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome home!
I'm glad that things are going well in NJ. This will add another skill to put on your already impressive resume.
Brenda

 
At 8:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back! It's good to have you back on the same continent, even if you're not all that close. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home