Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Down in Virginia...

Well, here I am, down in Virginia, helping Mom pack. I really, really, really hate packing. This is why I try to at least be out of the state (if not out of the country) when people move. The problem is that my Mom keeps moving every year, so it gets a little obvious if I am always out of the area.

Oh well. I keep reminding myself that my Mom is going to let me live with her rent-free for the next two years. That alone is worth a move or two. Plus, she bought me a totally cool alpaca poncho the other day.

So, Virginia is weird. But we all knew that, right?

So, I caught a little of Live 8 the other day. It made me wish that I didn't faint at a little blood so I could become a doctor, move to Africa, and help thousands of people. I suppose I could always go down there and teach them English, but I'm not seeing how that would be too helpful. Damn me for being so useless.

On the other hand, I am planning to study Spanish at the community college in Salisbury while I work on my Masters. That will be useful for me, but it will also mean that I can work with immigrants. Ever since working in Weaton, volunteering as an English teacher, I have wanted to go back to working with immigrants. I can't see myself doing it as full-time work, but I would like to volunteer some time.

So yeah, I was never too interested in learning Spanish. But now, for some inexplicable reason, I am excited about learning the language. I guess now that I know how neat it can be to be able to communicate in a different language, I am hungary for more. And, lets face it, my options for continueing French are pretty much non-existant. I was going to take a class at Salisbury, but it would be too expensive for me. Plus, they really don't offer what I am looking for. So I think I will just put French on the back burner for a few years, then revive it when I get a chance.

Damn, so much is "when I get some time," and "when I get a chance." Sad truth, though, is that I mean it. I really don't have the time or energy to put into getting a Masters, working as a language tutor, learning Spanish, continueing French, playing oboe, and continueing with the fairly rigerous reading schedule I have set up for myself.

Speaking of reading, I am currently on my way through _Kim_, by Kipling. Other than _Just So Stores_ as a child, I had never done any Kipling--had never really wanted to. And now I see why. The book is interesting as a picture of India, but it is so imperialistic. I am having trouble getting through it. Every time I pick it up, I have a sudden urge to go and read some Edward Said. Go figure.

1 Comments:

At 8:50 PM, Blogger STAG said...

Kim IS imperialistic, but also, as so many of my Indian friends have told me, very accurate. My Padre told me that it was required reading in his school where he grew up (the South)precicely to illustrate the dangers of imperial thought, and not incidently, the benefits of having another country pay for your infrastructure. Nobody (he said) has described that period of history better.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home