Thursday, March 08, 2007

Update

So, the internet at the apartment is spotty right now. i can use skype, but I can' actually get on the internet. Very odd and bizarre.

Today I went to a different company and talking to the person there about the job they advertised. It wasn't really an interview, but I think I would have a good chance at getting the job. The official interview is March 20.

I don't know if I would want to do it or not. There are some good things about the job--I'd be teaching in one place, I'd be making more money, and I'd be working out of the same series of text books.

The bad things are that I'd be teaching the same group of people for six hours a day. The day starts at 7:15 and it is about an hour commute from where I am living now. So with commute and lunch, I'd be spending 11 hours a day on this job. It wouldn't be as flexible as where I work now (I have found it very easy to re-arrange my lessons for Mom's visit here). There also isn't the teacher development that my current job offers (which was a major factor in my accepting employment here). The main thing: I'd be teaching all-male classes--guys about 25 to 45. All miitary. (They mix enlisted and officer in the same classes--a fact I still can't get over!! It just seems... so wrong). I would miss my one-on-one classes... I'd miss having female students... the job isn't quite what I thought it was. I feel like I'm committed to the interview, but I don't think I would take the job if they offered it to me, which is probably not a good attitude to have.

One of the reasons that teaching all male classes does not appeal to me is because I'm having some problems with one of my students now. Nothing major, but he is starting to get a little disruptive in class. He is a bit older than all the other students and his English is the weakest. I think he is frustrated and trying to act "cool" to cover up his weak English. I have to be very careful about who I pair him with--it is a balancing act. I'm trying to give him some extra attention to make him feel that he is not being left behind. He probably should be in a lower level, but he came from a lower level and if he moved back he would be working out of the same book he just finished--a boring prospect that might lead to more problems. So, we shall see. I will figure something out.

5 Comments:

At 10:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You and your uncanny ability to find the darndest decisions...rapid-fire, almost! :)

Good luck weighing the pros and cons of the job(s)...and good luck getting fully-functional internet service.

 
At 1:06 AM, Blogger Ovonia Red said...

I honestly don't know what I would do if I didn't have a life changing decision to make every three to six months!

But I guess I shouldn't stress about the decision until I go for the interview--they might not actually offer me the job after all!

I will keep everyone posted (of course)... as long as I can get on the internet...

DJ

(BTW, it is working this morning. Oh, and does anyone want to teach my conversation class for me?)

 
At 3:24 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I have enough trouble just conversing. Ugh.

Your mum told me a bit about the job, and it had sounded so promising in so many respects--sorry to hear about the multiple drawbacks...it is odd that they combine officer + enlisted. That must really cramp the enlisted dudes' performance!
I guess I hadn't thought either about the ramifications of being the sole female in a roomful of Czech men...hmm...
Still, it's good to explore one's options.

 
At 2:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alrighty...about a week later, lookin' for another update....
:)

 
At 11:56 AM, Blogger STAG said...

A little extra time with your weak student to prove to yourself and your supervisors that you did what you could, after that, it will be up to him. Make sure he knows it. Stress team work.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home