Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Where the heck are all the Brussel Sprouts??

If Brussel Sprouts are a European food (http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/plantanswers/publications/vegetabletravelers/kohlrabi.html), then where are they all? I love Brussel Sprouts (I was about to abbreviate but decided not to) but I haven't had any since December. I've been living on Zucchini, Cauliflower, Broccoli, Tomatoes, Potatoes, Lettuce, and Carrots. Oh, and frozen Green Beans. I miss, miss, miss Brussel Sprouts and Sugar Snap Peas... and Peas (which I can occasionally find in the freezer in stores here). In fact, a lot of what I eat is occasionally missing from the shelves at the grocery stores. Case in point: ground beef. I haven't seen ground beef in a store for over three weeks now. I really wanted some Granny Soup for this week, so I finally had to buy the (nasty) beef/pork mix-it is cheaper than ground beef, but it is a lot fattier. I've discovered that I like Kohlrabi--I may have to start eating Kohlrabi sticks instead of carrot sticks. It is odd though--I was researching Kohlrabi and I realized that most of my veggies are members of the cabbage family. I have yet to buy an actual head of cabbage because I don't really know what to do with it (cabbage soup? Ugh.) I should learn, though, as it is super cheap--about 8 crowns for a head (that is less that 50 cents).

Anyway... I canceled my afternoon classes today so I could stay home and rest. Been guzzling tea (and granny soup) and I think I am feeling a bit better. The rash was one of those sun rashes I occasionally get (I bought sunscreen but the strongest I could find was 16--laughable). It is gone from around my neck, but I think I got some on my scalp (first time that had happened--it is the bangs--I forgot that having bangs means that part of my scalp is exposed to the sun). Anyway, I think it will take longer to go away because of my hair. Basically, for a sun rash I just have to keep EVERYTHING away from it for awhile--lotion, clothes, hands, soap, etc. But I still need to wash my hair (and even if I didn't do that, the rash would have oily hair against it--not necessarily an improvement).

Ugh... like you all care. But I figured that since I had referenced it, I should report on it (mainly for family members who keep track of that sort of thing).

Anyway, I've made plans to go on a two-day bike trip this weekend... I really want to go (and I basically invited myself along so I don't want to back out at the last minute), but I am not going to force myself if I still feel sick.

Meanwhile, back to watching 24. I think I have six hours left.

6 Comments:

At 11:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe I'm going to quote a movie starring The Rock, even if it is for comedic value, but there was this one scene where he's (in Brasil) asking for Brazil Nuts, and the waitress tells him they don't call them that, there. He asks what they call 'em. She says, "nuts." (I know, I know, likening Brussels to Prague is probably akin to likening Blacksburg to...um...Washington D.C.? Without political/podunk connotations, necessarily. Anyway.)
I'd heard of Kohlrabi, but I couldn't have guessed that it was a veggie, much less what it looked like, but thankfully Wikipedia was there for me. :)
I was going to ask if you'd found any "new" foods to supplant old standards. Seems like you have--both good (kohlrabi) and not-so-good (beef-pork blend).

I'm not sure I've ever given cooked cabbage a chance (unless it was in Chinese spring/egg/etc rolls)...but have you considered making cole slaw? :)

Take care... get better...enjoy the bike ride if you go!

 
At 11:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As for calling food "BS"....

My grandma used to make awesome Brunswick Stew.

Once, as a self-amused "witty" young lass, I'd had a bowl of Brunswick Stew thought I'd be cute and ask for "some more BS."

Yeah, my grandma nipped my calling her labored-over stew "BS" but quick. :)

Sun Rash? Hmm...pretty much once every year (around when Spring hits, I think) I get something like that. Just figured it was my skin reacting to getting (warm) sun again. I think I know whatcha mean, though, even if I get a lesser dose of it.

 
At 8:14 AM, Blogger Ovonia Red said...

Very quickly:

Canadian Bacon
French Fries

I'll post more later.

 
At 8:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm...on the flip side, though, in Brunswick County, it's still called Brunswick Stew.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brunswick_stew

 
At 10:50 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

A HAT!!!!!!!


Also, Malcolm adores Brussels sprouts. (As a copyeditor: should that be brussels sprouts, Brussels sprouts, or Brussels Sprouts??)
Margaret and I, on the other hand, find eating them to be like having a squishy mouthful of flatus.

My mother used to make...let's see...I think they were called cabbage rolls: she'd cook ground beef (or, um, beef/pork blend) with onions and probably something else, then mix it with rice and make little bundles inside rolled-up boiled cabbage leaves. Then she'd pour tomato sauce over them and bake them--I think.
I remember them as pretty tasty, but somewhat challenging to eat, for a 10-year-old--and they sound like a lot of work, don't they??

 
At 1:08 PM, Blogger Ovonia Red said...

Yes, my Canadian Mommie... a hat would have been an excellent idea... too bad I have the world's smallest head and hats look silly on me. (And I don't actually know where I can buy a hat here... come to think of it, I haven't really seen any). I think I would have better luck trying to find a bandanna or scarf for my hair...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home