Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Longer update (maybe)

So, it is 7:50, and I am ready to fall over dead in my bed. I can't remember what I wrote this morning--probably not much. I just wanted to let folks know that I arrived in Athens okay (after only a day and a night of travel which, trust me, is not much).

It does seem like i have been spending a significant amount of time traveling. The worst was when I had to get from Budva (in Montenegro) to Lake Ohrid. Instead of taking the bus (which would have been, what, maybe 8 or 12 hours), I decided to use my shiny, expensive rail pass. So I took a bus from Budva to Podgradice, in Montenegro, to catch the train to Nis (Serbia). When I got to the train station, it was pitch black (as in, there was no sun, but also as in there were no lights at the train station). I went to the ticket counter, shower my rail pass, and attempted to ask about the train to Nis, and the woman was just like, "uhhhh..." So, I waited. And waited. And waited. By now it was past 11pm, I was in a pitch black train station, and I was getting a little anxious. Finally, a train came through. I asked where it was going, and the conductor said "Beograd" (Belgrade, in Serbia). I made a split second decision. The train to Nis might be late, or I might have gotten a hold of completely incorrect information. There might be another train that evening, or this train to Beograd might be it. I knew I could get to Skopje from Beograd (it would just add several hours to my trip), but here was a sure thing. So I hopped on the train.

Okay, I'm too tired to continue my story. I can barely type. My mind is thinking one thing, and my fingers are typing something completely different (as in, completely different words with completely different letters). So I will have to continue my story later. Don't worry, though--it all worked out in the end. I figure that when I get back to the States, I will post some of my stories with pictures. (I don't happen to have a picture of the pitch black Nis train station... you will have to use your imagination for that. Just close your eyes.)

Anyway...

1 Comments:

At 1:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whomever created the "____ at dark" postcards (I've seen 'em for various cities, thus the ___blank,) where the picture side of the postcard is simply black...yeah, maybe they tried to use the Podgradice-Nis railway stations at night, too.
:)
While the "building character" stories will be fun, I'm sure you'll appreciate everything in real-time more if you're rested.
Enjoy!
May the trains be with you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home