Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Back in the USA

So, I made it back to the States. I am currently in Virginia, hanging out with my Canadian Mommie, Hil.

The trip back was pretty nuts. I could feel myself getting sick when I was in Brasov (everyone in the hostel was sick and it was freezing outside--there was actually a bit of snow on the ground). Monday morning I got up and took the train down to Bucharest with some other folks. We spent the day wandering Bucharest, then in the evening I grabbed my bag and headed to the airport to stay the night there (my flight was at 6:15 in the morning on a budget airline. If you don't get there early, you can be denied a seat. Since public transportation didn't actually being until 5:30am, I figured I'd just spend the evening in the airport). This being Romania, I didn't actually want to SLEEP in the airport, so I just sat there, staring at the other folks who had had the same exact idea I had had. After a shoving match at the airport counter, a shoving match through immigration, a shoving match at the boarding gate, a shoving match to get on the bus to take us to the plane, a shoving match off the bus, and a shoving match on to the plane, I got a little bit of sleep (never more than about 20 minutes at a time). Then, I was in Luton airport in London, where I had to take a bus to Heathrow airport. Did that (London morning rush hour traffic), got on the plane, and spent the entire time talking to the person sitting next to me (another language teacher), so I didn't get any sleep. In Ottawa, I met up with B&B, and we visited a bit (mainly, the kinda pushed me from place to place because I was pretty out of it at this point). Then, the flight to Washington DC, where again I got a bit of sleep in 10 to 15 minute chunks. My Canadian Mommie and her hubby met me there, and drove me to their home, where I took a shower (my previous shower having been some time on Saturday. I think.) and passed out. All in all, I figure I was awake (with the exception of my quickie naps) for 46 hours total.

Now that I've eaten and let people know that I'm alive, I think I'm going to go take a nap.


At 4:26 PM, Anonymous Anna said...

Welcome back, sleeping beauty. :)

At 3:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey are y'all back in Maryland and all rested up and stuff?

At 10:22 AM, Blogger Ovonia Red said...

Yup, back in MD and rested up. In fact, my trip is officially over now: my ears have (finally) started popping.

(Actually, it usually does not take my ears this long to pop after flying. It generally happens a day or two after flying. But I've had this Romanian head cold. I finally put myself on a strict diet of decongestants, and that seems to have helped take some of the pressure off my head. I have a small head, and it can only take so much pressure...)



Post a Comment

<< Home